Saturday, November 13, 2004

Oven Puff Pancake

I can’t remember where I found this recipe, so excuse me if it goes unreferenced. It eats like a pancake, but as the title says, you cook it in the oven.

This means you can serve four people a hot slice (like a pizza) all at once. This is important for me since pancakes come off the stove one or two at a time and I end up having to eat after everyone else is fed.

Anyway, toss some bacon or sausage on the side with eggs and you have a meal for four, or serve two people two slices each, push back from the table, and go take a nap after breakfast.

The basic topping is sautéed apples and raisins, but I have combined pears and other fruits based on what are available at the grocery store seasonally. Now, on to the recipe….

Ingrediants:

The topping – One apple, pealed and sliced thin
2 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter

The pancake-- 2 eggs
½ cup milk
¼ cup + 2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar

The topping is made in a medium skillet, beginning with melting the butter over medium low heat. Add the Apples, raisins, OJ, and begin sautéing and stiring. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over the top and cook until the apples are soft.

The pancake batter is a no-brainer, but I wouldn’t recommend substituting Bisquick or other premix. I like doing things from scratch…remember, GOOD home cooking is not necessarily done quickly.

Redneck Tip: The most important thing about this recipe is to carefully sift and measure your flour. I said SIFT YOUR FLOUR. I tend to keep a lot of flour around my kitchen and it gets to sit in the humid island air in a paper bag or canister and even if it is “pre-sifted” it still needs sifting by the time I get around to using it.

The first three or four times I made this recipe I got different results until I understood how critical the consistency of the batter was to the outcome. SIFT and MEASURE your flour and the results will be beautiful. Your girl will love it.


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Beat the eggs in a medium mixing bowl until foamy, then add the milk and sugar. Mix it all up a little, then add the flour a little at a time and beat 2 minutes longer until smooth.

Redneck Tip: Now go make a fresh Bloody Mary or Mimosa and let the apples finish cooking and the oven finish preheating. Turn the apples down real low to keep them warm.

Put a couple of tablespoons of butter in a large deep, oven proof skillet. I use a skillet like you fry chicken in. Whatever you use, it must have a flat bottom. Toss the skillet in the oven for about a minute to preheat.

Redneck Tip: I always hang a dishtowel on the oven door handle to remind me to not grab the skillet with my bare hand. I keep the towel wrapped around the handle once the skillet is out of the oven when I am done. It’s amazing how far you can throw a 10 pound metal skillet once it reaches 425 degrees.

Once the skillet is preheated, pour in the batter and bake for 10 minutes.

Remove the skillet and spoon the apple topping into the center of the pancake. Bake an additional 12 to 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven, slice into quarters and dust with confectioners’ sugar.


Enjoy Y'all

The Redneck Gourmet

No comments: