Monday, September 19, 2005

Rib Re-runs

Well, I did them again after letting them spend two days in a spicy brine.

Remember my Baby Back Pork Ribs that I cooked a couple of times earlier this summer?

Unfortunately my health continues to limit my kitchen endeavors, but I did manage to find the ribs on sale this past week and while one rack is comfortably resting frozen in the freezer, the second rack made dinner Sunday night.

I'm quite serious when I say that you should experiment with the brining mixture. This time I just winged it--1 and 1/2 gallon cold water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp black peppercorns, and ...... the piece de resistance...

1 tbsp red pepper flakes.

Man, was this mixture ever spicy--particularly after two days of soaking.

I've made these little rib racks thingies out of wire coathangers that work well keeping the ribs standing on edge over a pan of water while they cooked indirectly on my charcoal grill. I'll post a drawing and some pictures later so you can make your own.

I appreciate you continuing to bear with me as I recover from my malady.

Regards Y'all,

The Redneck Gourmet

No comments: